Statement of the Job:
The Assistant/Associate Extension Professor and Seafood technology and Food Safety Specialist with the University of Maine Cooperative Extension will directly support the over $2.5 billion Maine Seafood Industry by providing impactful federally- and state-required food safety workforce training and education. The position will also support the development of new seafood products, processes, and training to support the workforce. The faculty member in this position will provide leadership for Cooperative Extension’s seafood technology and food safety programming and applied research. The faculty member, in partnership with county and campus-based Extension staff and UMaine faculty, will develop or assist educational programing and applied research focused on seafood and food safety. The position will address the wide spectrum of seafood industry food safety needs with a priority for the needs of Maine small businesses. The position will conduct applied research and scholarship in collaboration with colleagues within Cooperative Extension, the UMaine School of Food and Agriculture, and others.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Design, implement, evaluate, and communicate to stakeholders a Plan of Work that aligns with the University of Maine Cooperative Extension mission and addresses high priority food safety needs of small businesses and consumers
Work in partnership with the Extension faculty and staff, county and campus-based colleagues, and statewide partners to:
Develop and conduct educational programs for stakeholders, Cooperative Extension staff and other professionals, work independently and as part of teams, on issues related to seafood technology and food safety
Serve as a resource for timely and relevant seafood technology and food safety information for faculty, professional and classified staff within Cooperative Extension, and for statewide agency professionals
Serve in a leadership role for the seafood technology and food safety network within Cooperative Extension
Develop online programming to support the needs of the seafood industry
Build and sustain linkages and collaborate with colleagues in Cooperative Extension, the School of Food and Agriculture and other relevant academic departments on issues related to seafood technology and food safety
Provide food safety education/information to commercial food businesses where relevant including Seafood HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point) certification workshops and commercial sanitation.
Develop a network of Maine seafood processors to provide the latest food safety education and encourage information and resource sharing.
Work as part of a team with external agencies and organizations to address multi-county, state, multi-state and national issues related to food safety
Provide technical support to Cooperative Extension nutrition staff (Publications Catalog and the Eat Well Nutrition Education Program) on seafood technology and food safety
Provide timely and accurate information in response to public requests for information, including being a member of the Extension Nutrition, Food Safety and Food Preservation Call Team
Disseminate the results of applied research and other scholarly work
Participate in local, regional and state program development teams
Ensure compliance with civil rights, affirmative action, and equal opportunity
Hire, orient and supervise professionals, classified, and/or student employees as appropriate, including conducting or participating in required performance evaluations, and providing safety and environmental management oversight
Utilize coaching and mentoring methods, which provide an environment that is anticipatory, supportive, and encourages constructive feedback on performance
Develop and maintain professional relationships that reflect courtesy, civility, and mutual respect
Develop and sustain a professional development plan in support of one’s Plan of Work
Contribute to University of Maine Cooperative Extension’s overall marketing initiatives as part of one’s Plan of Work
Commit to organizational improvement by identifying opportunities to improve and recommending possible alternatives
Perform other reasonably related duties as assigned
Complete Job Description
About the University:
The University of Maine is a community of more than 11,900 undergraduate and graduate students, and 2,500 employees located on the Orono campus, the regional campus in Machias, and throughout the state. UMaine is a land, sea and space grant university, and maintains a leadership role as the University of Maine System’s flagship institution. UMaine is the state’s public research university and a Carnegie R1 top-tier research institution, dedicated to providing excellent teaching, research and service for Maine, the nation and the world. More information about UMaine is at umaine.edu.
The University of Maine offers a wide range of benefits for employees including, but not limited to, tuition benefits (employee and dependent), comprehensive insurance coverage including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and short and long term disability as well as retirement plan options. As a former NSF ADVANCE institution, the University of Maine is committed to diversity in our workforce and to dual-career couples.
UMaine is located in beautiful Central Maine. Many employees report that a primary reason for choosing to come to UMaine is quality of life. Numerous cultural activities, excellent public schools, safe neighborhoods, high quality medical care, little traffic, and a reasonable cost of living make the greater Bangor area a wonderful place to live.
Materials must be submitted via “Apply For Position” below. You will need to create a profile and application; upload:
1.) a cover letter which describes your experience, interests, and suitability for the position
2.) a resume/curriculum vitae
3.) contact information for three professional references
You will also need to submit the affirmative action survey, the self-identification of disability form, and the self-identification of veteran status forms. Incomplete application materials cannot be considered. Materials received after the initial review date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University.
Search Timeline is as follows: Updated June 23, 2023
Review of applications to begin: Aug 15, 2023
Screening interviews to begin no earlier than: Aug 20, 2023
On-site interviews to begin no earlier than: Sept 5, 2023
Tentative start date: Oct 2023 – Jan 2024
- Job Type: Staff
- Application deadline: 08/15/2023
- Organization: University of Maine
- Qualifications: Required: Earned Ph.D in Food Science or closely related field Experience with food safety procedures including seafood HACCP and sanitation Demonstrated ability to design, deliver and evaluate educational programs Knowledge of, or documented record of, conducting high-quality, applied scientific research, demonstrated by publication in peer-reviewed journals and/or popular press Demonstrated computer and educational technology skills Excellent interpersonal, technical writing, and public communication skills Knowledge of or experience in grant writing Demonstrated ability to work well as part of a team and independently; must be self-motivated and directed with the ability to achieve goals and manage multiple tasks in an autonomous work environment Ability to travel, usually requiring a valid driver’s license, both in- and out-of-state, with reimbursement at the contract rate Ability to work a flexible schedule, depending upon the needs of stakeholders Preferred: Experience with Cooperative Extension educational program development, delivery and evaluation Established record of effectiveness in Extension educational programming Demonstrated experience with applied research and community needs assessments Experience in grant writing and the financial management of grant funds Successful supervisory experience Experience working with diverse audiences; knowledge of diversity, equity and inclusion; and understanding of equal opportunity, affirmative action and civil rights policies
- How to apply: Visit website: https://umaine.hiretouch.com/job-details?jobID=79965&job=assistant-associate-extension-professor-and-seafood-technology-and-food-safety-specialist
- Location: Orono, ME
- Web address: https://umaine.hiretouch.com/job-details?jobID=79965&job=assistant-associate-extension-professor-and-seafood-technology-and-food-safety-specialist