The Cooperative Institute for Great Lakes Research (CIGLR) is looking for a candidate to join our research team working on biogeochemistry and water quality in the Great Lakes. You will organize and perform laboratory analyses related to eutrophication, harmful algal blooms, and long-term change in the Great Lakes.
Your appointment will be with CIGLR, which is part of the University of Michigan’s School for Environment and Sustainability located in Ann Arbor, Michigan. CIGLR is a collaboration between the University of Michigan and NOAA that brings together experts from academia and government research labs to press problems facing the Great Lakes region. You will spend the majority of your time at NOAA’s Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory (GLERL) in Ann Arbor.
Term Appointment: This is a one year term appointment with the possibility of renewal depending on performance and funding.
The School for Environment and Sustainability (https://seas.umich.edu/) is a collaborative and interdisciplinary school. Our mission includes contributing to the protection of environmental resources and the achievement of a sustainable society. We accomplish this by generating and sharing knowledge, contributing to policy and engaging managers and stakeholders. The University of Michigan is a top-ranked public university with excellence in research and teaching. Ann Arbor, home to the University of Michigan, is a town known for arts, culture, parks and restaurants.
SEAS is committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and equitable environment that respects diverse experiences, promotes generous listening and communications, and discourages and restoratively responds to acts of discrimination, harassment, or injustice. Our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion is deeply rooted in our values for a sustainable and just society.
Why Work at Michigan?
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, The University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family and plan for a secure future. Benefits include:
- Generous time off
- A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
- Oversee analytical chemistry workflows for nutrients and other water quality parameters
Develop methods for biogeochemistry in the laboratory and field, including writing and revising standard operating proced
- Organize datasets, laboratory records, sample inventories, and standard operating procedures across multiple projects
- Analyze data with statistical or graphical techniques under direction from principal investigators
- Communicate findings through manuscripts and presentations
- Job Type: Staff
- Application deadline: 08/11/2023
- Organization: Cooperative Institute for Great Lakes Research
- Qualifications: Required Qualifications* A Master's degree in ecology, limnology, oceanography, or aquatic environmental science Three (3) or more years of experience working in an environmental research laboratory related to chemistry Professional experience measuring aquatic nutrients using multiple analytical platforms Experience performing data analyses in a scripting program (e.g., R, MATLAB, Python) Demonstrated ability to work independently in a research setting, as well as collaboratively as a team member This position is open only to US Citizens or permanent residents due to federal security clearance required for access to NOAA GLERL facilities and resources Desired Qualifications* Demonstrated experience contributing to peer-reviewed papers Experience with instrumentation used aboard research vessels on large bodies of water Experience organizing large datasets
- How to apply: Apply on the website: https://careers.umich.edu/job_detail/236887/biogeochemistry-laboratory-specialist-intermediate
- Location: Ann Arbor, MI
- Web address: https://careers.umich.edu/job_detail/236887/biogeochemistry-laboratory-specialist-intermediate