As a Biologist within the Great Lakes Science Center some of your specific duties will include:
- Plans and conducts modeling studies and investigations concerning biological, chemical, and physical processes that affect benthic algal communities.
- Plans and conducts model development and tests that integrate field and remote sensing data at disparate scales to maximize information usage.
- Participate in field data collection and recommend modifications to project objectives and associated documentation in accordance with established directives and model needs.
- Writes comprehensive reports on study findings and recommendation, including journal publications as well as other communication materials, and communicates scientific results to the public, collaborators, and the scientific community.
- Operates government owned vehicle as an incidental driver.
The field work requires some physical exertion such as walking over wet, rough, uneven, or rocky surfaces; bending, crouching, stooping, stretching, reaching, or similar activities. Laboratory work requires moderate physical ability and agility and dexterity to manipulate samples and operate equipment.
Work is performed in an office, laboratory, and/or in the field. The office is adequately lighted, heated, and ventilated. Temperature and weather extremes may be encountered in the performance of the outdoor work. Field and laboratory duties may require the use of special protective gear. The incumbent is expected to conduct duties in a safe and orderly manner so as not to endanger self, fellow workers, or property with which entrusted.
- Job Type: Staff
- Application deadline: 12/11/2023
- Organization: USGS
- Qualifications: Requirements Conditions of Employment Key Requirements: Applicants must be U.S. Citizens. Suitable for Federal employment, as determined by background investigation. Selectee may be subject to serving a one-year probationary period. More requirements are listed under Qualifications and Other Information. Selectee must provide a valid state driver's license & safe driving record. Selectee subject to successful completion of a pre-employment medical exam. Are There Any Special Requirements For This Position? This position is under a bargaining unit Because this position requires travel for official business, the selectee will be required to apply for a charge card within 30 calendar days of appointment. Individuals who have delinquent account balances from a previous Government charge card will be required to satisfy their existing obligation before a new card can be issued. Driver's License/Driving Record - You will be required to operate a government-owned or -leased vehicle in the performance of your official duties. Applicants for this position must meet the following requirements:(1) possess a valid State license, and (2) possess a safe driving record. If selected, you will be required to provide proof of a valid State license & a copy of your driving record. A background investigation will be required for this position. Continued employment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for termination. Throughout the recruitment and hiring process we will be communicating with you via email; therefore, it is imperative that the email address you provide when applying for this vacancy remains active. Should your email address change, please notify the point of contact identified in the vacancy announcement as soon as possible so that we can update our system. Qualifications BASIC EDUCATION REQUIREMENT: Applicants must meet A or B below to satisfy the basic education requirement for Biologist, all grade levels. A. Degree in biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position. *OR* B. Combination of education and experience--courses equivalent to a major, as shown in A above (24 semester hours or the equivalent in biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position), plus appropriate experience and/or additional education for a total of 4 years. The education or combined education and experience must be comparable in type, scope and thoroughness to that acquired through successful completion of a 4-year course of study as described in "A" above. For GS-11: In addition to the basic education requirements as stated above, applicants must meet one of the following: Possess 3 full years of progressively higher-level graduate education or a Ph. D. or equivalent doctoral degree in the biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines. **OR Possess one year of specialized experience at or equal to the next lower grade level. Examples of experience at the GS-09 level work may include: 1) participation in the planning and execution of biological studies with limited number of variables; 2) performing established, standardized tests and analyses on a broad range of biological samples; 3) conducting biological studies using established fact finding procedures. For examples 1-3, assignments were made with the objectives, priorities, and deadlines defined. The work was planned and carried out independently in accordance with proven techniques, methods, and practices. Controversial use of approaches or modifications of standard procedures were typically discussed with a designated person before being carried out. **OR Possess a combination of graduate level education as described in above, beyond the first two years of progressive graduate study, and appropriate professional experience that together meet the qualification requirements for this position.
- How to apply: Apply on website: https://www.usajobs.gov/job/761509100
- Location: Ann Arbor, MI
- Web address: https://www.usajobs.gov/job/761509100