Hiring Pay Scale
$67,992 – $90,000/ Annually
California Sea Grant (CASG, https://caseagrant.ucsd.edu) sponsors marine research, extension services, and education activities to support the management, conservation, and enhancement of California’s coastal ocean resources for the benefit of current and future generations. The primary mission of CASG’s Communications Program is to help promote CASG’s professional scientists and capabilities, and to communicate to CASG’s key clientele the accomplishments, products, activities and opportunities of our (1) Extension Specialists, (2) funded research scientists, and (3) partner agencies and other Sea Grant programs that collaborate with CASG. Our key clientele are: (a) Academic and other Researchers, (b) California State Agencies, (c) Federal and California State Legislators, (d) the National Sea Grant Office, and (e) the Public.
The primary focus of the Communications team (composed of the Digital Communications Specialist, Science Writers, and Science Communication Fellows) is to lead a comprehensive communications program for California Sea Grant with moderately complex communications requirements. To accomplish CASG’s mission, the Communications team produces, publishes and disseminates a range of written, visual, digital and electronic communications products, including the CASG website, newsletters, research project summaries & profiles, social media posts, news releases and creative communications/marketing digital and print projects. The Communications team also plays a critical role in gathering, reviewing, interpreting, and reporting annual data about CASG program activities into PIER, the National Sea Grant reporting database. The team partners closely with the Science Integration Team, CASG’s extension specialists and funded researchers to ensure that all communications efforts represent CASG programming and funded initiatives appropriately.
Reporting to the California Sea Grant Director, the Digital Communications Specialist uses skills as an experienced and effective digital communications professional and project manager to develop and implement targeted communication strategies to highlight and raise awareness of California Sea Grant’s (CASG) research, education, and outreach programs. The position will collaborate with leadership, subject matter experts, the Communications team, and contractors as needed, to identify communication opportunities, plan and implement all marketing and communications, across multiple platforms, including websites, social media, email campaigns (MailChimp) and Youtube. The Specialist will actively contribute to multiple internal, campus and Sea Grant network project teams, workgroups and committees. The position also creates project milestones, provides analysis on communications activities, and contributes program-level reporting of funders and partners to measure the program’s success including annual narrative progress reports, summary reports and technical publications as required by the terms of sponsored agreements along with digital communication project impacts and accomplishments. This reporting typically covers 65-85 projects per year and the Digital Communications Specialist will collaborate as part of a larger reporting team. High-quality, high-volume work under deadline is consistently required.
The Specialist should be well-versed in content management systems, graphics and illustration software, and applications for publishing and web production. The position is responsible for layout, design, and production for a variety of non-routine and moderately complex web site applications, including search engine optimization. The Specialist will create original graphic content including appropriate images and or videos for websites and other marketing projects. The Specialist must demonstrate a full understanding of industry practices and organization policies and procedures, and good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
The Digital Communications Specialist contributes to social media efforts to create compelling multimedia content that further tells the story of the program’s scientific research, outreach, and education work. This position applies strong writing skills to coordinate and edit the work of part-time science writers and communications fellows and interns for writing, web postings and social media content on a variety of complex topics. The Specialist is a collaborative team member who can work with diverse colleagues and partners.
- Job Type: Staff
- Application deadline: 01/07/2024
- Organization: California Sea Grant - University of California San Diego
- Qualifications: QUALIFICATIONS Degree and/or training in graphic arts, multimedia design, or related field required. Thorough knowledge of the fundamentals of design and user experience, including skill to design in an appealing, lively and relevant way. Exhibit strong creativity skills. Thorough understanding of technical language and requirements of the assigned work. Experience in HTML and PHP. Thorough knowledge of content management systems and / or relevant web applications used for web production and organization-specific computer application programs. Thorough skills to create clear, easy-to-navigate, informative, accurate, well-designed, and functional web sites that provide web content consistent with the organization's message and in keeping with management directives and client objectives. Superior proofreading, editing, content style, flow and tone of informational materials to ensure accurate grammar, spelling, punctuation, sentence structure and syntax within documents. Thorough understanding of organization's processes, procedures, and applicable rules and regulations for web communications. Thorough technical skills in computer applications for web production, image handling, publishing and design, illustration, presentation preparation, animation, web interaction, and / or other state-of-the-art web communication capabilities. Thorough experience using Dreamweaver, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, and contentmanagement systems. Demonstrated project coordination experience, ability to set timeframes and meet deadlines, including the ability to be flexible and manage simultaneous projects with varying priorities. Strong experience creating electronic and print-based newsletters. Demonstrated ability to produce, write, edit, and distribute newsletters, working closely with director and project staff on content and layout. Experience writing stories, conducting interviews, and arranging photography, video, or graphics to accompany news articles. Experience using social media including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, online forums and blogs in professional capacity. Demonstrated results in utilizing new social media tactics that resulted in high engagement. Strong interpersonal communication skills. Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills. Strong customer service skills and ability to maintain effective working relationships with a diverse group of faculty, researchers, project personnel, fellows, trainees, administrative staff, external vendors, and collaborators from various federal and state sponsors. Experience developing and implementing original ideas and correctly identifying and effectively solving problems. Demonstrated ability to read and analyze technical or complex content and write on those subjects in understandable terms for a general audience, including a strong sense of a good story and understanding of the topics that may be of interest to various publics and will incorporate key location messages. Experience utilizing Google Analytics to track website traffic. Provide analysis and information on complex results or activities. Superior organizational skills, including the skills to independently organize and effectively prioritize own work; to track action items and deadlines for self and others; and to prompt others when action is needed. Thorough knowledge in maintaining and updating email lists. Ability to be a collaborative, dynamic, team player, detail-oriented, critical thinker, self-motivated, enthusiastic, resourceful - "will-figure-it-out" attitude, customer-focused, adaptable, conscientious. SPECIAL CONDITIONS Job offer is contingent upon satisfactory clearance based on Background Check results. This position can be hybrid or primarily remote. Occasional non-standard hours are required to meet deadlines. Required to attend occasional evening and weekend events. Occasional out-of-town travel is required. Confidentiality is a condition of employment due to access to sensitive materials found in proposals.
- How to apply: Apply on website: https://employment.ucsd.edu/digital-science-communications-specialist-127180/job/27542663
- Location: San Diego, CA
- Web address: https://employment.ucsd.edu/digital-science-communications-specialist-127180/job/27542663