EPA Office/Lab and Location: A research opportunity is available at the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Office of Research and Development (ORD), Center for Environmental Solutions and Emergency Response (CESER), Water Infrastructure Division (WID) located in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Research Project: There is a need for original models and new ways of thinking about microbial stormwater quality for a variety of applications, including risk characterization to inform appropriate treatment during stormwater capture and use (SCU) and exposure assessment of urban storm- and floodwaters that can present microbial risks to the public and emergency responders. Previous research has observed substantial variance in microbial stormwater quality, especially in urban locations, with poorly defined predictor variables. Current stormwater quality models [e.g., the EPA’s Stormwater Management Model (SWMM) and National Stormwater Calculator (SWC) have been primarily designed for nutrient responses and generally do not perform well for microbial contaminants. Furthermore, quantitative molecular markers (i.e., PCR measurements) can help to quantify microbial risks from fecal contamination, pathogens, or antimicrobial resistance, yet no current stormwater models have been developed for these responses. The theme of this appointment is therefore to review literature and synthesize data to develop enhanced stormwater quality models and appropriate modeling inputs that improve their characterization of microbial stormwater quality.The research participant will learn about environmental and stormwater microbiology. The research participant will learn about hydrological and spatial statistical modeling. The research participant will have the opportunity to interact with different Centers and staff in the EPA Office of Research and Development to learn about EPA’s research activities around water reuse, climate change implications to stormwater modeling, and flood risk mitigation.
- Job Type: Other
- Application deadline: 02/02/2024
- Organization: EPA
- Qualifications: The qualified candidate should have received a master's or doctoral degree in one of the relevant fields, or be currently pursuing the degree with completion before the appointment start date. Degree must have been received within two years of the appointment start date. Preferred skills/experience: Coursework and/or experience related to water quality modeling, stormwater hydrology, microbial risk assessment, or wastewater management Demonstrated proficiency in scientific literature review, data analysis, applied modeling, and science communication
- How to apply: Visit web address for instructions to apply.
- Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
- Web address: https://www.zintellect.com/Opportunity/Details/EPA-ORD-CESER-WID-2023-05