Work Location: Midwest Biodiversity Institute (MBI) is located in Hilliard, Ohio, just west of Columbus. Projects include stream and river surveys in Ohio, the greater Midwest, and other states as necessary, or the US EPA National Rivers and Streams Assessment survey in New England, and other states as necessary.
Project Description: Biological assessment of rivers and streams using standardized sampling methods; qualitative/quantitative habitat assessments; fish collection using various methods and gear including electrofishing and/or gill, modified fyke, and hoop nets. Includes overnight travel (up to 30 consecutive days). All work-related travel costs, including lodging and meals, are covered by MBI.
Position Description: Work as a member of a 3-4 person field crew that collects fish data in lotic systems located in urban and rural areas across the Midwest and/or Northeast. Includes sampling, data recording, equipment operation and maintenance tasks under the direction of the crew leader. Must be able to lift 50 pounds, and assist in operating wading and boat mounted electrofishing gear, boats and outboard motors, boat trailering, and collecting biological samples, and in-field processing and sorting of samples. Crew members will also “fill in” with other crews (water chemistry and/or macroinvertebrate) on an ‘as-needed’ basis. Employment with MBI is “at will”.
Period of Employment: All or parts of August through October, 2023.
- Job Type: Field technician
- Application deadline:
- Organization: Midwest Biodiversity Institute
- Qualifications: Baseline Skills Required: o Ability to perform supervised field sampling. o Must maintain a variable work schedule including irregular hours, overtime hours, and extended overnight travel including consecutive weekends. o Ability to maintain work in hot weather under physically strenuous conditions. o Ability to work effectively as part of a team on a day-to-day basis is a must. o Experience working on or around water and with small watercraft is desirable.
- How to apply: Apply on website: https://midwestbiodiversityinst.org/about/employment-opportunities
- Location: Hilliard, OH
- Web address: https://midwestbiodiversityinst.org/about/employment-opportunities