As a Geodesist, you will perform the following duties:
- Responsible for processing of geodetic data acquired from Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) equipment. Collect and review absolute and relative gravity survey data, assures processing of gravity data surveys collected by other survey groups as well as assisting in software maintenance, development, testing, debugging, and refining National Geodetic Survey (NGS) software to improve geopotential modeling.
- Inspect and analyze data to ensure compliance with applicable specifications, certifying it for inclusion in surveys/reports. Prepare scientific reports setting forth appropriate data and their interpretation.
- Plan, conduct, and analyze observations for studies. Determine applicable methods and procedures and apply them to the project or study. Examine and analyze observations. Prepare continuous data profile searches for anomalies, and makes preliminary conclusions as to their significance.
NOTE: This is a developmental position. The position performs work under general supervision in a developmental capacity aimed at preparing the incumbent to gain the knowledge and skills necessary to perform the duties outlined in the target position description Geodesist, ZP-1372-3.
- Job Type: Staff
- Application deadline: 12/12/2023
- Organization: NOAA Department of Commerce
- Qualifications: Requirements Conditions of Employment Applicants must have completed, within the previous two-years, a qualifying associate's, bachelor's, master's, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution. Exceptions are made for veterans, as defined in 5 USC 2108 , who, due to military service obligations, were precluded from applying to the Recent Graduate Program during the two-year eligibility period described above. Veterans have a full two-year period of eligibility upon their release or discharge from active duty. The eligibility period shall not extend beyond six years from the date of academic completion. This position will be filled under the DOC Alternative Personnel System (CAPS). This system replaced the Federal GS pay plan and structure. Under CAPS, positions are classified by career, pay plan, and pay band. The ZP-1372-2 is equivalent to the GS-7. This position has promotion potential to the ZP-1372-3. * Applicants must be at least 16 years of age. * Student Loan Repayment will not be authorized. * This position is not in the bargaining unit. Key Requirements: Applicants must be U.S. Citizens. Suitable for Federal employment, as determined by background investigation. Must be registered for Selective Service, if applicable (Selective Service) A minimum one year trial period will be required. Must sign a Pathways Programs Participant Agreement. More requirements are listed under Qualifications and Other Information. The Recent Graduate Program lasts for 1 year. Participants who successfully complete the Recent Graduate Program may be eligible for conversion to a permanent appointment or a term (1-4 years in duration) appointment without further competition. Throughout the recruitment and hiring process we will be communicating with you via email; therefore, it is imperative that the email address you provide when applying for this vacancy remains active. Should your email address change, please notify the point of contact identified in the vacancy announcement as soon as possible so that we can update our system. A background investigation will be required for this position. Continued employment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for termination. Qualifications This position is being recruited with an opportunity for non-competitive conversion eligibility to a permanent OR term position upon completion of all Recent Graduate program requirements. Conversion is not mandatory nor guaranteed (see Other Information) Eligibility Requirements In order to be eligible for an appointment under the Pathways Recent Graduate Program you must meet the following requirements: You must be a recent graduate who has completed, within the previous two years, an associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution such as an accredited technical or vocational school; a 2- or 4-year college or university; a graduate or professional school (e.g., law school, medical school); or a post-secondary home school curriculum. Note: Certificate program is defined as post-secondary education in a qualifying educational institution equal to at least one academic year of full-time study that's part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum. Veterans who were precluded from applying due to their military service obligation begin their 2-year eligibility period upon release or discharge from active duty; however, eligibility for these veterans cannot exceed 6 years from the date on which the degree or certificate was obtained. The date of release or discharge from active duty should be later than the date the degree or certificate was obtained. Qualification Requirements Qualification requirements in the vacancy announcements are based on the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standards Handbook, which contains federal qualification standards. This handbook is available on the Office of Personnel Management's website located at: https://www.opm.gov/policy. BASIC REQUIREMENTS: This position requires applicants to meet a Basic Education Requirement in addition to at least one year of specialized experience OR a substitution of education for experience OR combination (if applicable), in order to be found minimally qualified. You MUST meet one of the following basic education requirements: To qualify for the 1372 series: Degree: geodesy; or 30 semester hours in any combination of geodesy, mathematics, physics, astronomy, engineering science, surveying, geodetic surveying, photogrammetry, or geophysics. The course work must have included differential and integral calculus. OR B. Combination of education and experience: course work as shown above, plus appropriate experience or additional education. To qualify at the ZP-2 or GS-07 level: SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: In addition to meeting the Basic Requirements above, applicants must also possess one full year (52 weeks) of specialized experience equivalent to the ZP-1 or GS-05 in the Federal service. Specialized experience MUST include all of the following: Analyzing Global Navigation Satellite Systems data, and experience with academic programming; and Analyzing and interpreting results associated with the usage of modern Earth observing systems. EDUCATION: One full year of graduate-level education. OR Superior Academic Achievement Demonstrated by a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with one of the following. NOTE: It is your responsibility to ensure your application clearly states how you meet one of the provisions below: A grade point average (GPA) of 2.9 or higher based on a 4.0 scale for all completed undergraduate courses, or those completed in the last 2 full years of undergraduate study; A GPA of 3.5 or higher based on a 4.0 scale for required courses completed in a major field of study, or those courses completed in a major field of study during the last two years of undergraduate study; Class standing of upper third of the graduating class in the college, university, or major subdivision of the college. Membership in a national Scholastic Honor Society certified by the Association of College honor Societies, excluding freshman honor societies. OR Combination of Education and Experience: A combination of graduate level education and specialized experience. Because this position requires travel for official business, the selectee will be required to apply for a charge card within 30 calendar days of appointment. Individuals who have delinquent account balances from a previous Government charge card will be required to satisfy their existing obligation before a new card can be issued.
- How to apply: Apply on website: https://www.usajobs.gov/job/762903800
- Location: Boulder, CO; Silver Springs, MD; Ann Arbor, MI; Seattle, WA
- Web address: https://www.usajobs.gov/job/762903800