UGA Marine Extension and Georgia Sea Grant offers year-long education fellowships for recent graduates at the Marine Education Center and Aquarium on Skidaway Island, Georgia. These fellowships, which serve as a bridge experience between college and professional positions, are offered to recent college graduates with a degree in a coastal or education related disciplines (education, environmental science, marine science, or other natural, physical, or social sciences) or a completed degree with relevant coursework. Fellows train and work for 50 weeks to gain experience in environmental education, aquarium husbandry and coastal extension.
The education fellowship has three distinct tracks that focus on marine education and outreach, aquarium education and husbandry, and coastal extension. Each track includes teaching pre-k-12 school groups and summer camps, program development and delivery, basic aquarium husbandry duties, organizing and leading the annual Youth Ocean Conservation Summit, and additional but varying responsibilities.
Track 1: Marine education and outreach fellows will gain experience teaching diverse audiences in a variety of settings
Track 2: Aquarium education and husbandry fellows will focus on the daily operations of the UGA Aquarium
Track 3: Coastal extension fellows will focus on community outreach and extension work
When applying, please indicate which of these tracks you are most interested in and why. Track preference will be considered during the hiring process, but not guaranteed.
The fellowship positions are 40 hours per week, typically Monday-Friday with at least one required Saturday per month. The UGA Aquarium does not house marine mammals or conduct marine mammal research. SCUBA, snorkeling, or kayak classes are not offered.
- Job Type: Other
- Application deadline: 02/24/2023
- Organization: UGA Marine Extension and Georgia Sea Grant
- Qualifications: Recent college graduates with a degree in a coastal or education related disciplines (education, environmental science, marine science, or other natural, physical, or social sciences) or a completed degree with relevant coursework.
- How to apply: Applications open on Jan. 25, 2023 and must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on Feb. 24, 2023 via the online submission system, eSeaGrant
- Location: Marine Education Center and Aquarium on Skidaway Island, Georgia
- Web address: https://gacoast.uga.edu/education/college-students/marine-education-fellowship/
University of Georgia Marine Extension and Georgia Sea Grant