Old Woman Creek Research and Education Internships
The Friends of Old Woman Creek is offering two undergraduate internships for summer 2023 within the Education and Research sectors at Old Woman Creek (OWC) National Estuarine Research Reserve.
Old Woman Creek Reserve is part of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s National Estuarine Research Reserve System, a network of 30 coastal reserves whose mission is to address state and regional coastal management needs through research, education, and stewardship. Located on the south-central shore of Lake Erie in Huron, Ohio, the OWC Reserve resides on one of the state’s few remaining examples of a natural estuary.
The Education and Interpretation Intern will work collaboratively with OWC’s Education team to help provide visitor center support and assist with implementing educational and recreational programming with a variety of school, youth, and public programs including guided hikes and canoe trips. Additional job duties include answering phones, responding to public inquiries, orienting visitors to the Reserve, and issuing access paddling permits. OWC’s Education Coordinator, Jennifer Bucheit, will serve as the onsite mentor for this position.
Desired qualifications for the Education and Interpretation Intern include progress toward a bachelor’s degree in environmental education, biology, environmental science, or a related subject, and a valid driver’s license. Experience with communications, graphic design, and environmental education are preferred.
The Research and Monitoring Intern will assist staff with ongoing research and monitoring efforts and will be expected to develop and conduct independent research. Specific research duties may include a primary literature review, design and implementation of experimental protocols, and a final oral presentation and written report. Monitoring duties will include calibration and deployment of data sondes, field collection, data management, and lab analysis of water samples, The Research and Monitoring Intern will work collaboratively as a member of the OWC Research and Monitoring team, including Research Coordinator, Dr. Steve McMurray, and Monitoring Coordinator, Dr. Jacob Cianci-Gaskill, who will serve as onsite mentors.
Desired qualifications for the Research and Monitoring Intern include a basic knowledge of, and enthusiasm for, aquatic research. Basic knowledge of how to search and critically evaluate the primary scientific literature. Experience organizing and managing data is a plus.
- Job Type: Internship
- Application deadline: 03/11/2023
- Organization: Old Woman Creek National Estuarine Research Reserve, Ohio Department of Natural Resources
- Qualifications: All applicants should have a proven ability to work independently and as part of a team, have a strong work ethic, and be detail oriented. Fieldwork at OWC can be physically demanding, and all interns should have the ability to conduct physical tasks and work outdoors in a range of weather conditions for extended periods. Boat and canoe experience will be helpful but is not required. However, the ability to swim and lift at least 35 pounds is required. The intern must also be currently enrolled in a college or university (i.e., students graduating before September 2023 are ineligible). The two internships are expected to last approximately 11 weeks, from mid-May – August (start and end dates are somewhat flexible). The total stipend for the internship will be $5,500 paid out in bi-weekly periods. Free onsite housing in shared accommodations may be available.
- How to apply: To apply: Submit 1) a letter of interest, 2) current CV/resume, and 3) contact information for 3 references to Jennifer Bucheit (Jennifer.firstname.lastname@example.org) for the Education Internship or Dr. Steven McMurray (email@example.com) for the Research Internship by March 11. Interested students can contact either Jennifer or Steven by email with questions. To learn more about our program, visit ODNR-OWC or Friends of Old Woman Creek.
- Location: Huron, Ohio
- Web address: https://friendsowc.org/two-summer-intern-opportunities
Old Woman Creek National Estuarine Research Reserve