The Harte Research Institute for Gulf of Mexico Studies at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi invites applications for the position of a Research Specialist (I or II) in Phytoplankton Taxonomy. The selected candidate will be experienced in estuarine phytoplankton taxonomy and ecology, and will work on multiple grant-funded projects that aim to quantify phytoplankton dynamics in local estuaries.
The primary responsibilities for the selected candidate include:
• Performing lab-based analyses for phytoplankton abundance/community composition via microscopy and flow cytometry
• Training other lab members in proper phytoplankton enumeration and identification techniques
• Submitting data to a data manager in a timely manner
• Preparing data reports for presentation at scientific and/or public meetings
• Assisting with collection and processing of water quality samples in the field
• Assessing lab needs to determine if new techniques for phytoplankton analysis are warranted and feasible, and lead implementation of those techniques as necessary
The Research Specialist will be part of a vibrant team of undergraduate students, graduate students, research staff and postdoctoral researchers in the Coastal Ecosystem Processes lab (https://www.harteresearch.org/research/coastal-ecosystem-processes), led by Dr. Mike Wetz. The team also includes an enthusiastic group of “citizen scientists” who participate in various projects. The Coastal Ecosystem Processes lab combines basic and applied science to increase our understanding of coastal phytoplankton ecology while also addressing societally relevant water quality issues.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. This will be a benefits-eligible staff position.
The position may require single or multi-day travel, including occasionally on weekends.
Dr. Michael S. Wetz, Chair for Coastal Ecosystem Processes 6300 Ocean Drive • Unit 5869 • Corpus Christi, TX 78412-5869 Phone (361) 825-2132 • Fax (361) 825-2025 • Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Harte Research Institute for Gulf of Mexico Studies Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi
Informal inquiries about the position can be sent to Mike Wetz (email@example.com).
To submit an application, visit: https://tamus.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/TAMUCC_External/details/Research-Specialist-I-II_R-064041
The application will include: 1) a cover letter describing interest, relevant background and qualifications, 2) full curriculum vitae or resume, and 3) contact information for three professional references. We will begin accepting applications immediately and the position will remain open until filled.
- Job Type: Staff
- Application deadline:
- Organization: Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi Harte Research Institute for Gulf of Mexico Studies
- Qualifications: Minimum Qualifications: • Bachelor’s degree in marine biology, biology or related discipline • At least two years of working experience with estuarine phytoplankton identification via microscopy. • Fundamental knowledge of current estuarine phytoplankton taxonomic classifications and classification schemes. • Knowledge of appropriate sample handling and preparation techniques. • Proficient reading and writing skills and the ability to follow protocols. • Effective verbal and written communication skills. • High degree of organization and ability to multitask. • Excellent work ethic, ability to meet deadlines, and ability to work well in small groups and independently. Preferred Qualifications: • Master’s degree in marine biology, biology or related discipline. • Experience with water quality sampling techniques and monitoring instruments (multiparameter sondes). • Working knowledge of flow cytometers, FlowCam, and/or Imaging FlowCytobot for phytoplankton analysis. • Knowledge of molecular techniques for quantifying phytoplankton dynamics. • Ability to work in the field and lift and carry 50 lbs.
- How to apply: Visit website https://tamus.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/TAMUCC_External/details/Research-Specialist-I-II_R-064041
- Location: Corpus Christi, TX
- Web address: https://tamus.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/TAMUCC_External/details/Research-Specialist-I-II_R-064041