The Postdoctoral Research Associate will contribute to the USDA ARS cooperative research project “Support the Viability and Expansion of Land-Based Closed Containment Aquaculture” by investigating the potential of multi- and hyperspectral imaging for fish health and welfare monitoring in recirculating aquaculture. The Postdoctoral Research Associate will perform research duties assigned by the Research Scientist leading the Precision Aquaculture initiative and will be responsible for sensor integration and prototype development to acquire multispectral, hyperspectral, and water quality data in recirculating aquaculture systems. This is a temporary, full-time appointment expected to be 24 months long.
RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Participate as a member of the Precision Aquaculture research team.
- Contribute to defining research problems and planning team experiments.
- Develop and build prototype equipment for acquiring multispectral and hyperspectral data.
- Independently plan and conduct experiments.
- Analyze, evaluate, and interpret data and results.
- Prepare reports of the results as manuscripts for publication in peer-reviewed journals and presentations at scientific meetings.
- Maintain and manage the Precision Aquaculture laboratory workshop.
Work is performed primarily in an office / applied research laboratory setting.
The noise level in the work environment is moderate (~60 dB).
Estimated travel – 10%.
COMPENSATION and BENEFITS
The salary range for this position is $70,000 – $90,000, and the position is eligible for opportunities to earn performance-based bonus compensation. The Fund offers a highly competitive package of benefits including employer contributions for health care, paid holidays, vacation and personal/sick leave, retirement plan and more.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time, with or without notice.
- Job Type: Post-doc
- Organization: The Conservation Fund - Conservation Services/Freshwater Institute
- Qualifications: MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS Recent Ph.D. in Agricultural and Biological Engineering, Data Science, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related field. Expert-level knowledge, skills, and abilities in multi and hyper-spectral image analysis and machine learning. Proficiency in data analytics using Python, OpenCV, MATLAB, Tensorflow/Pytorch/Keras. Experience using statistical analysis tools, e.g., R or SAS. Ability to communicate effectively with internal colleagues, external research cooperators, and equipment vendors. Excellent communication skills in written and spoken English. PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE Expert-level statistical knowledge, skills, and abilities. Experience using multi- and hyper-spectral image analysis in agricultural or aquacultural applications. Familiarity with land-based recirculating aquaculture systems PHYSICAL DEMANDS Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- How to apply: Apply on website: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=a537a5bc-abc3-4781-95fd-640ce5ed26bb&ccId=19000101_000001&type=JS&lang=en_US&jobId=475981
- Location: Shepherdstown, WV
- Web address: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=a537a5bc-abc3-4781-95fd-640ce5ed26bb&ccId=19000101_000001&type=JS&lang=en_US&jobId=475981