The National Center for Water Quality Research (NCWQR) at Heidelberg University seeks a highly motivated postdoctoral research associate with experience analyzing large data sets using innovative data visualization and statistical approaches. The staff member will work primarily on data collected as part of the Heidelberg Tributary Loading Program as well as data collected by the USGS in the Western Lake Erie Basin. The goal of both of these projects is to assess suspended sediment and nutrient loading from watersheds throughout the Lake Erie watershed. While each program has been in operation for numerous years, a rigorous comparison of the datasets and loading methods has never been conducted. In addition, a fresh viewpoint on how to present these data to scientific as well as a lay-person audience is warranted. Finally, it is of vast importance to the region to consistently conduct trend analysis to assess the effectiveness of domestic action plans implemented in response to the nutrient target loads adopted in 2015 by Annex 4 of the 2012 Great Lakes Water Quality Agreement. The ideal candidate will have a passion for environmental studies, be detail-oriented, and enjoy delving into the intricacies of water quality data. While a majority of the individual’s time will be spent on the project described above, the postdoc will have the opportunity for other professional development activities such as scientific outreach and education, relevant training workshops, proposal development and writing, and student engagement via teaching and advising student research.
• Comprehensively compare data from the USGS and NCWQR sampling locations in terms of sample analyses as well as loading calculations
• Analyze data from each of Ohio’s tributaries to Lake Erie using a variety of approaches ranging in complexity to provide information on trends
• Visualize the results using state-of-the-art methods and applications informed by an advisory group of key agencies and researchers in the region
• Participate in project meetings as needed to help guide the data analysis process
• Disseminate results of this project to diverse audiences via presentations, fact sheets or handouts, webinars, or other means.
• Publish the results of this research in peer-reviewed scientific journals.
• Participate in other professional development activities as time allows.
- Job Type: Post-doc
- Application deadline: 01/31/2023
- Organization: Heidelberg University
- Qualifications: Completion of a Ph.D. in the Natural Sciences, Data Sciences, Engineering, or a related field.
- How to apply: https://www.heidelberg.edu/careers Candidates should upload a cover letter describing why they’re interested in this position, a current resume, and the contact information for three references.
- Location: Tiffin, Ohio
- Web address: https://recruiting.paylocity.com/Recruiting/Jobs/Details/1453564
310 E Market St Tiffin, OH 44883-2434 US