Minderoo Foundation is a modern philanthropic organisation. We take on tough, persistent issues with the potential to drive massive change. We incubate ideas and accelerate impact. We push the limits of what is believed possible. Minderoo Foundation is independent, forward thinking and seeks effective, scalable solutions. We are proudly Australian, and one of Asia’s largest philanthropies, with AUD $2.5 billion committed to a range of global initiatives. Our team comprises over 250 employees across seven locations.
Flourishing Oceans aims to return our oceans to a flourishing state. A healthy ocean is one that can withstand a changing climate and increasing human pressure, is resilient, and free from pollution with a plentiful biomass of fished species. As human pressure increases and the health of our ocean continues to decline, dramatic steps are required to protect and conserve this resource.
Sustainable Fisheries. We work globally to end overfishing, with the goal of achieving the United Nations Sustainable Development Goal target 14.4 by 2030. We develop global insights, invest in new technologies and approaches, and develop on-ground actions in support of this goal.
The Sustainable Fisheries team delivers a range of programs, including partnering with on-ground organizations to deliver fisheries improvements and increase sustainability, building evidence and political momentum for regulatory reform domestically and internationally, and investing in innovative technologies and creating new information sources to improve fisheries sustainability.
The team’s work touches on a diverse set of issues, from social equity in coastal fisheries to new applications of satellite remote sensing to understand fishing capacity. In the spirit of modern philanthropic organizations, the Sustainable Fisheries team creates impact through our direct programs, building partnerships, and supporting other organizations seeking to drive change.
About the Role
As a Research Associate you will contribute to the design and execution of the Minderoo Foundation’s Global Fishing Index, synthesizing information on stock sustainability across the world’s oceans. Based in our Perth Forrest Hall office, this permanent, full time role will also involve providing support to other projects across the program, touching on a wide range of data sources and project objectives.
Immediate duties will be contributing to the method development and analysis of the Sustainability component of the Global Fishing Index, including but not limited to:
Lead development of statistical models for estimating ecological risk and sustainability of fish stocks globally.
Contribution to data collection, management, and analysis to estimate countries’ stock sustainability for the Global Fishing Index.
Supervision of junior technical staff, including roles in analysis, data collection, and data management
Prepare scientific publications, reports, briefing notes and study files on topics relevant to the Fisheries Program.
Representing the fisheries program externally, including with industry, fisheries experts, and other stakeholders
Leadership and management of projects, including internal and external projects and collaborations.
- Job Type: Staff
- Application deadline: 06/24/2023
- Organization: Minderoo Foundation
- Qualifications: To be successful in this opportunity, we are looking for a candidate with the following qualifications, experience and skillset: A Doctorate in fisheries, marine ecology, statistics or related disciplines. Two years experience post-doctorate in fisheries research program design and execution Well developed analytical skills and are competent in data analysis using R, Stan, and other modern analysis tools. Experience in use of integrated software development environments and version control systems, such as Github Experience in management of large data sets, including database development and use. Ability to translate and disseminate scientific knowledge into recommendations and actions. High standards in work ethic with self-driven direction. Strong written and oral communication skills in scientific contexts.
- How to apply: Apply on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/3617346117/
- Location: Perth, Australia
- Web address: https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/3617346117/
Julie Santana Garcon