This is a full-time, non-exempt position. This position is responsible for conducting algal research and developmental activities as directed by the Director of R&D. The individual’s primary responsibility is executing and collaborating on studies at both laboratory and production scale. Topics can be related to algal growth, productivity, and resistance to contaminants, pests, and diseases. This role includes both collaborative and independent work. $23-$26/hr
This is not a supervisory position.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Work with the Director of R&D to identify, prioritize, design, and execute applied research projects, at all scales, that are focused on optimizing operations and maximizing return on investment.
- Learn new tasks quickly and adapt to a frequently changing task list.
- Perform chemical analyses of algae/algal projects as well as assays necessary to complete research projects in the service of company goals.
- Perform general laboratory tasks, including but not limited to making media and stock solutions, maintaining laboratory space and equipment, ordering chemicals and other supplies, autoclaving labware, and collecting data.
- Maintain and preserve the laboratory culture library as necessary.
- Keep a comprehensive lab book and digital data log to facilitate good research project management.
- Work effectively with other personnel in the company.
- Frequently and meaningfully contribute to scientific discussion and debate in a healthy, professional manner.
- Operate a fork-lift after training and certification.
- Perform all necessary tasks as directed by the supervisor.
- Comply with GMP and safety guidelines in all work duties. Maintain a safe laboratory.
- Present regular verbal progress reports on research projects to the Director of R&D and peers.
- Create written summaries of reports and research as appropriate, by request of the Director of R&D.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned,
This position may require extended periods of sitting or standing at a lab bench or extended periods working outdoors on uneven ground in a hot environment. Must be able to walk on uneven surfaces safely and climb tall platform ladders. May include occasional lifting up to 50 pounds.
The work is performed inside under laboratory conditions, and outside in a sunny warm climate. Position requires some handling of chemicals, with appropriate personal protective equipment. Protection from sun exposure may be required.
OUTSTANDING EMPLOYEE BENEFITS
$20/hr minimum starting rate
Safety, Health and Wellness
- Employer Paid Medical Including: Prescription Drug Coverage and Vision, Massage, Acupuncture, Chiropractic and Dental
- Healthcare Flexible Spending Account
- Short & Long Term Disability Coverage
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Personal Protective Equipment Reimbursement
- Employee Assistance Program
- Blue Zone Project Health and Wellness Programs
- Electric Vehicle Charging Stations available at HI location
- Referral Bonuses
- Competitive Wages
- Profit Sharing
- Employee Discount Product Purchasing
- Retirement Savings Plan (401k)
- Equity Incentive Plan
- Employee Growth & Advancement
- Leadership Training
- Promotions / Transfers
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Sabbatical Leave
- Rest & Relaxation & Community Involvement
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Holidays
- Co-worker camaraderie
- Volunteer Reimbursement
- Job Type: Staff
- Organization: Cyanotech
- Qualifications: Qualifications Two or more years of relevant laboratory or aquaculture experience. Ability to work efficiently and cooperatively in a fast-paced manufacturing environment. Proficiency in math and PC-based computer applications including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook. Strong math and quantitative skills. Strong problem-solving aptitude. Ability to multi-task and adapt to changes in work assignments. Ability to work independently as well as part of a team. Strong verbal, written and interpersonal skills, as well as analytical testing skills. Able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- How to apply: Apply on website: https://www.cyanotech.com/job/research-technician/
- Location: Kailua-Kona, HI
- Web address: https://www.cyanotech.com/job/research-technician/