Researcher I (Stream and River) (Multiple Vacancies), The Center for Fisheries, Aquaculture, and Aquatic Sciences at Southern Illinois University – Carbondale (SIU)
Position Summary: The Center for Fisheries, Aquaculture, and Aquatic Sciences at Southern Illinois University – Carbondale (SIU) is seeking up to three (3) researchers to conduct aquatic ecology and fisheries management field and laboratory work in rivers and streams. Researchers will work on crews assisting graduate students and other researchers with field surveys.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Field responsibilities include hydroacoustic and telemetry surveys of bigheaded carp, and boat electrofishing surveys. Researchers will work in the Center and may also assist with graduate student research, which may include mesocosm experiments and fish community assessments. When not in the field, researchers may conduct laboratory work including data entry, aging fish, dissecting fish stomachs for diet analysis, isotope chemistry, and assistance with current research projects. Occasional overnight travel for field work. Per-diem and lodging for overnight travel will be provided.
The position will be stationed in Southern Illinois, but travel will occur throughout the state. Workdays can be long, but mostly involve traveling to field sites. Successful applicants will collect field data and be able to assist with ongoing research projects. This is a great opportunity to gain experience using various types of fishing gears and learn a variety of ecological sampling techniques. Independent research experience is also a possibility.
- Job Type: Staff
- Application deadline: 06/15/2023
- Organization: Southern Illinois University - Fisheries & IL Aquaculture Center
- Qualifications: Minimum Qualifications: Must have a bachelor’s degree in ecology, biology, fisheries, natural resources, or related field. Valid driver’s license. Ability to work long hours. Ability to work in adverse environmental conditions. Demonstrate organizational skills and high attention to detail. Preferred Qualifications: Ability and experience identifying Midwestern fishes, operating a boat, hauling trailers, and driving four-wheel drive vehicles.
- How to apply: Please visit jobs.siu.edu to create an account and apply
- Location: Carbondale, IL
- Web address: https://jobs.siu.edu